Trumpland

I enjoy Michael Moore’s documentaries, but I’ve always thought they were largely unpersuasive because he preaches to the choir. He really only talks to the people who already agree with him. With Trumpland, and the stakes so high, Michael Moore finally attempts to identify with the other side, and this film is his plea to them.

colleen-oharaOfficially, Michael Moore is not exactly a Clinton supporter himself. He voted Bernie Sanders in the primary, and even voted against Bill in the 90s. But now it’s time to get real. Donald Trump was a good joke for a while, but now the threat is a little too real and he’s coming out swinging.

What this film, which is not in the normal style of  a Michael Moore documentary, but more just a filmed speech that he gave in the heart of Trumpland (Ohio), gets right is that he doesn’t waste time bashing Trump. Arguably, Trump does a good enough job of that himself. Instead, Moore looks toward Hillary as not just a viable alternative, but the only real choice.

Moore tries to justify the mystifying support of Trump by

a) Identifying the disenfranchised and understanding where they’re coming from. The current system has left some people (the former middle class) without dignity, and 160125114628-donald-trump-quote-shoot-somebody-super-169they’re pushing back, which is a normal response.

b) Speaking up for the angry, older white men (among which he counts himself) who find themselves going extinct and will not go down without a fight.

Of course, Trump is not the answer to either of those problems. Trump is going to make sure the whole country goes down in flames, whether you voted for him or not. But some people just don’t like Hillary, and to those people, Moore says: that’s okay. It’s okay to hate Hillary. You can hate her and still vote for her, for the love of your country, because you don’t want to see it destroyed, because you’re willing to make a sacrifice for the land you call home.

20 thoughts on “Trumpland

1. Courtney Young

I hadn’t heard of this, but I’d love to see it. It’s kind of unbelievable that we’re in the predicament we are, but I have enough faith in people to make the right decision today. Thanks for sharing this post!

2. tubularsock

Tubularsock finds it a bit enlightening that these low level scum have become the choice of American leadership. Makes it easier to enjoy the decline of the United States because we have brought it on ourselves. Ignorance is bliss until it kicks you in the butt!

3. Henry Chamberlain

Moore is following his good instincts. Trump, totally despite himself, has revealed that “silent majority” that so many, including the infotainment media, would just much rather have remain silent or hop on a reality TV stage and perform. Trump, and many others, are happy to exploit them. Moore is doing something different here.

4. Birgit

You know, I also like Michael Moore but the Trumplodytes will never ever listen to anything he says. Trump is their Rob Ford…bombastic, classless, scary and speaks to the average uneducated, for the most part, Joe. Can you tell I am watching the elections?

5. Jay Post author

Michael Moore’s morning-after to do list:

Morning After To-Do List:

1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.

2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn’t let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must “heal the divide” and “come together.” They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.

3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn’t wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that’s about to begin.

4. Everyone must stop saying they are “stunned” and “shocked.” What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren’t paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all “You’re fired!” Trump’s victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.

5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there’s climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don’t want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the “liberal” position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).

1. dragonslayingprincess

The most hilarious response to the popular vote argument I’ve seen on twitter was ‘so? It’s not a popularuty contest.’

May I make a suggestion as to a 6? Bring up that Trump Needs A Safe Space every time they start trying to claim everyone on the left is being Politically Correct Snowflakes. That’s their favourite insult and I think we need to remind them that a lot of the far right are far more delicate than the left ever could be.

This whole thing is depressing. I remember even as a foreigner being a little confused when I heard the polls saying that Trump had no chance and feeling a little confused; that did not reflect what I was reading and seeing, but I assumed there must be something going on that I couldn’t be aware of, but I believed them. I hope the one lesson moving forward is ‘never be complacent’. That’s part of what got us into BREXIT

6. reocochran

I know this may not make sense but I like Hillary. 🙂
    There has been great coverage of her constant efforts to reach people and show them she cares. Throughout the years of her life.
    To me, my Dad liked my Mom’s “spunk” or as my Grandpa said of my Grandma, “piss and vinegar.” Many men are not so happy with outspoken women and call them “bitches” or “aggressive.” I call Hillary “intelligent, informed and assertive.”
    I loved this summary of the U.S. which may lean towards moderate but definitely NOT insane nor misogynistic leaders. Lol 😀

7. sexuality and the city

This was a really interesting article to read, especially in light of last week’s election. I think you’re right that Moore preaches to the converted – I wonder if Al Gore could do ‘An Inconvenient Truth II’ as a way of highlighting Trump’s (non)movement on environmental issues?

Here’s my own thoughts on the election from a UK perspective:

Sam