Root Cause

Back pain. Breast cancer. Panic attacks. Arthritis. Chronic fatigue. Bladder infections. Emphysema. Autoimmune disease. Herniated discs. Heart attacks.

Would you believe they’re all related to bad dentistry? In no other branch of medicine would a dead body part or tissue be left to fester. But dentists perform root canals all the time, and there’s just no way to keep a root canal completely sterile. Each tooth has 6-8 miles of tubules, tiny, tiny little tunnels that are basically only big enough to house gif-1-unicorn-1503393855bacteria and not much else. But a root canal keeps the tooth but cuts it off from the body’s natural immune system so if bacteria gets in, there’s no good way to get it out. And teeth are living things; they are connected in to the larger system of the body. According to the doctors in this documentary, every tooth is connected to particular organs and glands. And it’s weird to really understand the connection, but they’re telling me that, for example, 97% of breast cancer patients between the ages of 30-70 have had either a root canal or a toxic tooth. The worst part is the infected root canals are often asymptomatic. You’re not necessarily feeling tooth pain, so you never even think to have it checked.

A couple of things you should know about me:

1. I’m a member of the No Cavity Club, which is an actual club at my dentist’s office. He posts my polaroid proudly.
  2. I married the son of a dentist, so my excellent teeth have often been remarked upon.

My dentist growing up, and his hygienist wife, were family friends of ours. I’ve had cleanings but no big drilling procedures so I never developed any of the dentist phobias that so many people seem harbour. That said, this film was occasionally difficult to watch, even for me. There is some actual footage of root canals, and that’s pretty gross.

The thing is, I think I have a healthy amount of skepticism and this all sounds pretty simple and easy for something that continues to cause so many problems. Most dentists are still performing root canals. Most patients are still asking for them: it “saves” the tooth (well, allows the dead tooth to remain). But the evidence presented is convincing: of 30 000 root canals studied, and every single one of them without exception was infected. These are not performed badly, it’s just that root canals are just inherently toxic.

I have no science or medicine credentials. I write movie reviews. As a documentary, this film is fairly well-made, with tonnes of qualified experts weighing in. The science is careful. It adds up. But as viewers, you and I need to exercise our judgement. I can’t tell you how much to panic about your root canals, but the truth is, right now I’m awfully glad I’ve never had one.

20 thoughts on “Root Cause

1. Lara/Trace

I chose NOT to have root canals Jay. I read about this when I lived in Seattle years ago. It’s hard to get people to believe this connection with so many bad dentists around.

1. Jay Post author

I’m glad to hear it. These are scary links and it seems like people are just so used to doing things one way they don’t even want to consider its problems.

2. Robyn

Like you, I have never had one nor have I ever needed one (So I probably just totally jinxed myself) but this is really interesting. Can’t say I would ever accept to have one now if it were recommended by my dentist

3. D. Wallace Peach

I’ve heard that poor dental health is related to all kinds of ailments, including belly fat! I’m looking forward to watching this. Thank goodness my mother was a toothbrushing fanatic when I was growing up.

4. thehuntress915

Oh gawd! Just like Fragglerocking I’m phucked too. I have a dentist appt next week and I already need two implants and I’m only 49! Geez, now I’m in the middle of “should I watch this or shouldn’t I?” Thanks for the info Jay, now I have to make up my mind…lol

5. Liz A.

I did know that problems with one’s teeth can cause various issues. I’ve heard of people dying due to an infected tooth (I don’t remember the exact details). And have you ever noticed how you get a cold right after a cleaning? (It might be mild.) So, yeah, I know some of this is true.

6. msjadeli

Jay, you are BLESSED with good teeth genetics. Several volumes could go into my dental history, with the worst horror stories being the caliber of dentist and their “work”. So frightening to think there is a valid link between root canals and general health. Did they say anything about fluoride?

7. Widdershins

Nopenopenope …. I’m one of those who had horrific experiences as a child, and it took me decades to get back to a dentist and fix the damage, so I’ll pass on this one. 🙂

8. Tom

Fantastic. Just had a root canal a month and a half ago and with several more on the horizon. My teeth are literally falling out of my head because of, well, urm, unabashed laziness. If I end up dying of cancer as related to tooth infection, well then that is poetic justice I suppose. Still, something about this documentary seems . . . alarmist. Need to see it for myself I suppose. Ick.

9. selizabryangmailcom

Yeah, this really sucks ass. I knew about dental hygiene being important but never heard this root canal issue before. I mean, what the hell are the options, then, if someone doesn’t want one? Just pull the tooth out? Won’t the empty space that’s left become the same kind of fun mosh pit for bacteria and germs as the root canal space?

10. Hazel

I’m watching Root Cause now and I feel sick to my stomach because I have a mouth full of root canals a bridge and veneers. My dentist told me they were safe. I believed what I was told. But looking back my chronic ill health started after having the work done. I believe I have found the reason to all my health problems. My mouth must be terribly infected. HELP how can I have everything taken out – where do I start ? I live in Birmingham UK. I can not afford to pay for such an expensive proceedure. I feel so devastated because for the first time I believe I know the way to get my health and life back but equally know the disaster in my mouth will kill If left to corniness poisoning me.