Does spotting goofs help you get through a scary movie? By popular demand, here’s a short list of what you can watch for in The Grudge to help you cope with a very scary movie:
- The message Susan leaves on the answering machine is a little bit different when Karen first hears it than when the detectives hear it again later in the movie, and when we actually see Susan leaving it. Listen carefully – it’s never quite the same!
- When Karen is in the shower, after the hand comes out of her head, she spins around in the shower real quick and you can see that she’s not naked, she’s weirdly showering in a black tube top.
- When Karen’s searching the net, the fake-Google she’s using is rife with spelling errors. Some poor intern set that up a little too quickly!
- When Karen first goes to Emma’s home, she opens the door, then the camera pans over wrappers and crap on the floor. Then it cuts to an overhead shot, and all the garbage has moved around magically!
- When Susan leaves her apartment when Matthew rings the bell, the door slams shut behind her. When she turns around to go back in, the door is open. This happens all the time in movies. The sets are so flimsy, you see someone slam the door behind them, but instead of clicking into place it actually bounces back. They’ll stick in a convincing door-slam noise, but they have to cut away quickly or you’d see it swing way open.
- In the first scene with Yoko, you can clearly see a crew member in the background. You get a glimpse of them again as a reflection in the banister when Susan enters the stairwell.
- At the end, before Karen enters the morgue, she has a lot of blood and bruises in her face. Seconds later, inside the room, she appears with less blood than before, especially on the right side of her face. They must have called a lunch break in between shots, or else Karen’s got some mystical healing powers she didn’t tell us about.
See? You can do this thing!
Zoinks! And jeepers! I can’t handle scary movies. I can’t even handle snippets of scary movies. Now I’m scared I’m going to find a hand coming out of my head the next time in in the shower. Thanks! 🙂
Ha! Love it, Jay. I CAN do this thing. Now, I can watch The Grudge and laugh my way through. These are pretty sneaky catches. Thank you for this!
Nice try, I’m never watching The Grudge again….
Was that supposed to be a hand coming out of her hair in the gif? Moral of the story is too many interns spoil a movie.